Tuesday, January 25, 2011

“A Note From the Teacher” – Jim Meador

A good teacher will admit that knowledge is made of a clay that never hardens. What is assumed true at one moment, may be proven false the next.

Overloading students can discourage them. When mom taught me to walk, she did not explain the dangers, or I’d still be crawling. She gave me the basics and the courage to face them.

But allow your game to be a part of your individual personality by customising your own techniques. Pool is a science, but it is also an art form. Don’t let anyone else paint on your canvas.

The best way to get in focus is to keep it simple. Stick to basics. First, know thyself and be true.

My goal is far simpler. I simply try to make the object ball while positioning the cue ball for a reasonable second shot. If I am trying a low percentage shot, I leave the cue ball in a position to make it difficult for my opponent should I miss.

Leaving your opponent a tough shot will force him to take a risk that can affect his confidence.

The old men were good teachers because they didn’t impose their game on me.

Don’t think too much.

The discouraging thing about teaching is the delay between the instruction and the enlightenment, because too many students give up before their light comes. Everyone has a light inside covered by doubt, apprehension and even anxiety. It is the brightest light known to man. The switch is faith in your own value as a human being. While this may sound all too philosophical for something as menial as pool, it nonetheless applies equally to kings as to pool players. If you can’t learn from my advice, find another teacher. But don’t give up too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment